Moving can be stressful with all the stuff you need to pack and organize, but it’s also fun and invigorating because of the fresh start. But remember, apart from your precious possessions, you also have to worry about moving your vehicle. If you’re making a long-distance move across the country, one of the primary things you should do is compare car shipping companies.
Realistically, it would be impossible to drive cross-county, especially if you have kids in tow. A coast-to-coast move is too taxing and could prove more expensive with the fuel, toll fees, meals, and accommodations it entails.
Paying for a professional service is more convenient and provides value for money. Here’s how you can get your cross-country move done with an auto shipper.
Choose Your Car Shipping Options
When you’re moving nearby, you can drive your car or hitch on a trailer with a dolly. That’s no biggie! However, a long-distance move is more complex. Hence, it would be less risky to get the assistance of a professional. When shipping automobiles, you have two choices: working directly with a car shipper or using a broker. What’s the difference between the two?
- Carriers: Carriers often own the trucks, have immense knowledge of delivery routes, and do the actual shipping themselves. As the client, you have a single point of contact and can expect direct communication. However, the delivery scheduling may be tricky since the carrier deals with direct clients and has a finite number of trucks.
- Brokers: A broker doesn’t own the truck but has access to a vast network of carriers. Brokers act as middlemen between the customer and carrier. Their job is to find the best carriers for the given distance, car make, and time frame. Usually, they have multiple representatives, so there’s no single point person. And when your car gets transferred to the shipper, it could be harder to get updates. The primary advantage, though, is faster turnaround because they could find a carrier willing to make expedited shipment if you’re in a rush to move.
When you’re moving, the best choice is one that can meet your needs. So do your research and make a short list of various companies to see who is capable of shipping your vehicle safely at the best possible price with your preferred shipment date.
Factors That Influence the Price of Car Shipment
– Advertisement –
Shipping something as gigantic as a car is no mean feat. It takes a lot of logistical planning and skills to complete the move seamlessly. Be sure to get several quotes and negotiate.
Several factors influence the price of car shipment, and they are the following:
- Distance: The primary factor that affects the price is the distance of the move. The farther it is, the higher the cost because the car trailer will consume more fuel and bear the vehicle’s load for longer.
- Vehicle Make: In general, the bigger the car, the pricier the move because it consumes more space in the trailer. For example, it is more expensive to ship an SUV than a compact car.
- Type of Trailer: You can choose between an open or enclosed trailer. The open trailer is the most common and cheapest car hauler. Your car will be arranged neatly in a row with other vehicles. However, it is exposed to harsh elements, so it could accumulate dirt and grime. It’s also at risk of damage from flying debris like gravel. An enclosed trailer accords more protection because it has sides and a roof. It comes with a heftier price tag, but it’s well worth it for vintage cars, collectibles, and expensive vehicles.
- Final Delivery Mode: If you sign up for door-to-door service, you pay a premium. It delivers the car to your doorstep, so it takes out the hassle of picking up the car at the terminal. But if the car hub is near you and you have a friend who can drive you there, you can cut down on costs and choose to pick up at the hub.
- Date of Delivery: Those who wish for expedited delivery will pay more. By the same token, booking during peak season can jack up the rates due to increased demand. For best results, book ahead if you can.
Select a Reputable Shipping Company
When you’re moving to a new address, it involves more urgency. Though driving your car yourself is an option, don’t expect it to feel like a fun road trip during summer vacation. In the long run, you could spend more on trip incidentals. Not to mention that you’re also at risk of an accident while on the road. The stress and all the aches and pains associated with long car drives are just not worth it.
If you want to settle down fast in your new address, working with a reputable auto shipping company that provides insurance is the safest bet. They provide insurance and handle your car accordingly, so you get peace of mind. Remember that the cheapest choice is not always the best one. For best results, do your research to vet the best candidate. You want to leave your precious car in the hands of someone you trust.