Are you the one who always gets up late and finds no time to hit the gym? Not to worry, here we have listed the four best morning stretches that help you kickstart your mornings energetically.
Indeed, performing morning stretching is a great way to start the day; it energizes and keeps you productive throughout the day- which means you can skip coffee until the afternoon.
It also helps you approach the day with a higher level of confidence. You can perform these stretches for 10-15 minutes or can take longer if you want the pose to last a few more breaths. Morning stretches are proven to really make a difference in how your body and mind start your day.
This restorative pose is perfect for gently stretching your hips, pelvis, thighs, and spine. Everything gets a little tight in the morning. It feels good if you have been sleeping or squirming in the wrong position. Child pose calms the brain and relieves stress and fatigue, helping to start the day off on the right foot.
- Starting with all four limbs on the mat,
- the knees will be just below the hips, and the big toes touch.
- Spread your knees wide apart while keeping your big toes touching. Rest your buttocks on your heels.
- If touching your toes puts pressure on your knees, spread your toes apart.
- Inhale and feel your spine grow longer.
- As you exhale, take your butt back to your heels and tuck your chin to your chest.
- Rest here with your forehead on the ground. You can also put your arm to the side.
- Rest your body and palms as needed.
Cat and Cow
Performing these two poses together can increase CSF circulation. This helps smooth your spine, stretch your back and torso, and gently massage your abdominal organs. All of this helps you wake up and start the rest of the day energetically.
- Get up from the child pose and come onto your hands and knees, making sure your hands are under your shoulders, your knees are under your hips and your back is in a neutral position.
- Cat: Sink your back down towards the floor and lift your head up at the same time, sticking your tailbone out to make a curve with your spine. Take a big breath out at the same time.
- Cow: Tuck your head and tailbone in, arching through your spine to mimic a cow hump. Take a big breath in at the same time.
– Advertisement –
This pose is a gentle inversion, so it’s perfect for the morning. It resets your nervous system, calms your brain, and energizes your body. It can also treat sciatica and relieve fatigue. This pose is especially suitable for you if you have back problems that affect your sleep and leave you with pain and discomfort.
- Stay in the cat and cow position. Exhale and lift your knees from the floor, at first keeping your knees slightly bent and your heels lifted off the floor.
- Now push your top thighs back and stretch your heels toward the floor. Straighten your knees without locking them.
- Stay in the pose for 10 or more breaths.
This pose stretches the sides and hips, promotes self-confidence, and calms the mind. This pose makes an excellent addition to your morning routine.
- Maintain the downward dog position and lift one leg up. Keep the knees straight and hold this position for 2 breaths.
- Now slowly bring back the leg and raise another one.
- Continue this 8 times.
Morning stretches are like the cup of coffee that prepares you for the day ahead. We understand that you can’t always have enough time to indulge in an elaborate yoga routine, therefore, we compiled a list of the above-mentioned stretches that will give you the benefits of an elaborate yoga routine in half the time.